27 March 2008

The Wonderful Wizard of Oz

After a lot of soul searching - isn't that what twentysomethings are known for? - I decided on my career path. I'll be 45 before I get it all done, but I will get it done. I've gone through a lot of choices in the past, latching onto something I think will help or give me a decent living...but nothing really made me go "Oh, THAT! Yes, THAT is what I want!" Well, except for being a vet, but seriously, me and math are enemies. Science is a bitch, too.

I was perusing college sites, trying to find something, and I stumbled across the best fit for me, ever. It's got all the elements I love, and it's something I've accidentally been internalizing forever without realizing it.

My choice? Classicist, focusing on Roman History, preferably the reign of Emperors. The crazy mothers like Caligulia and Nero. The ones that are so twisted (hey, that sounds vaguely familiar) that they are remembered for their atrocities. Now I don't like things like crazy people killing people for random fun, but how can you not find a man that makes his horse a Senator fascinating?

I've always excelled at history, at studying the past in order to understand the present and future. To know the roads that mankind's walked and how and why it died out. I love it, so much. I could read books on it for days. God knows the History Channel's in my top five, no doubt about it. Especially the ones on the looking into ancient times.

I plan on getting my PhD in the area. I'll have to find a good college for that. I'd go to Emory, but seriously, just emailing the head of the department, asking how I should begin, like what I'll need to know later on to succeed in that specific area, I got brushed off. Bitch, please. It costs an arm and a leg and ain't the only pony in the world. I'll figure the rest after I get my Masters. I figure I'll spend a couple years in Italy, so maybe I'll study past that. Either way, it's the perfect field for me. Until then, it might have to be something like Ga State University.

Either way, it'll be a long while until I get to that stage. But I'm finally focused. Everything just lined up. And god it feels good to finally start in a direction. Now, to work on my religious beliefs. That'll take just as long, I think. Because as hard to believe as it is, I'm quite opinionated and find fault with most of them. And combine different ones, too. Bit of a problem, that.

Labels: , ,

4 Comments:

Blogger Twiddles said...

I'm very happy to hear you've figured out what you want. I know it is ridiculously frustrating not knowing exactly what you want. And I'm glad you're also not pursuing the gigantic paycheck - that'd be great if you loved what you were doing, but pursuing money just for money's sake is going to cause you more stress than enjoyment in the end. Heck, I'm sure it'll do that at the beginning, middle, AND end. So YAY to careers we enjoy, no matter what it takes to get there! :)

8:44 PM  
Blogger Jessie said...

It's such a damn good feeling to know where I belong. I need to do a post about that, too. This weekend, after I've been doing all my errands and shit.

I was never pursuing the big paycheck. That wasn't my thing. It was more what could keep me out of the working poor and closer to the middle middle class. I just didn't wanna live paycheck to paycheck. Still don't. I have a fear of that after living with my mom (not godmom, bio mom). They're barely surviving, and yeah, no.

I was going to look into getting Italian for my two year degree language requirements, but fuck that noise at this college. It's basically you learn everything over the course of the semester and your only test is the final. Uh, no. Sorry, I need more help that, peaches. So I guess it's back to Spanish. *sigh* I really wasn't overly fond of the language in high school. Nothing against it, but it doesn't have happy memory associations.

The intro French classes are all at like 8:30 in the morning. HAhahahaahahah! Oh, that was funny. Pull the other one. I don't do classes before noon, because of my internal clock that can't be switched to normal time. I'm always a night owl. I was staying up until like 4am when I was 10.

1:57 AM  
Blogger Twiddles said...

Oh, I know how annoying it is to live paycheck to paycheck. My parents are living like that right now, and because they're helping me out with my rent (I work, but all my money goes to pay my bills and school), I'm always crossing my fingers every month hoping that they have enough for THIS month. It is SO frustrating. I hate not being in control of a situation like that.
But anyway, you were awake at 4 am when you were 10? Wow. You ARE a night owl. See, I wish I was either an early bird or a night owl. I'm neither. I get tired early in the evening, and I can barely wake up early in the morning. I'm more of a wake-up-at-noon-go-to-sleep-at-9 type person. It's bad. Very bad. :)

1:30 PM  
Blogger Jessie said...

I have to know I'm secure, or I'll change to something else. Even if it's a pay cut. I need to have security more than high money that could fall out quickly.

4am was totally normal. I'd just be smart and sleep in class. What the hell, I was so much smarter than other people anyway? I've tried to change my sleeping pattern, and it doesn't work well. After a couple months, I revert. I'm best awake at like 11-12 and up until about 4-6, depending on how wired I am.

7:08 PM  

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home