14 July 2007

Cyanide Cookies For You

Now, I had planned to tell the Jennifer news yesterday, but I got sidetracked. I'll post about that in a few minutes.

Once upon a time, I had a best friend. Someone I had known for 20 years, since she was two and I was four. We hadn't always been best friends, but friends. My godmom and her mom were friends. Actually her mom wanted to marry my godmom's son, but that didn't happen. Anyway, you get the idea. I ruined my GPA over her. She wasn't planning to go to college, so I went four hours away to junior college, couldn't drive yet so I was at her mercy. I had to leave my finals without taking them, same with my midterms, actually. She couldn't be bothered with waiting for me. Her way or no way. And let's not mention the FOUR HOURS of Billy Joel, The Carpenters, and occasionally burned CDs. Every. Single. Weekend. That's to and from, so eight hours round trip. And I loved all the artists before that. We went to a place where she could rent her grandparents house, and I paid 150/month for a three bed/one bath home.

I did have some fun there. Just so you don't think I was all bad. It was awesome having the only two screen theater in the tri-county area. And? We got in for like 3 bucks. Who cares if we were like 2 months behind on the shows. We got 'em. And midnight at Wal-Mart's will never not be funny. For the record, that was my second college. I flunked out of the first due to early symptoms of diabetes, not that we knew it at the time. Never mind I'd gone to the school clinic thing a couple times trying to figure out what was going on. Was just told I needed more sleep. Bitch, please.

So my best friend met a boy at her job, the junior college bookstore at our hometown where we both went to after she fucked our GPAs all to hell. Actually, he was her boss and like seven or eight years older than her. Also, her only boyfriend...as in ever. So they dated and didn't tell anyone. Then, two or three months after that, she finally told me. Which explained where the hell she went. See, we used to talk like two hours a day, because of our extremely fucked up lives. Good bonding experiences, that. Then she disappeared. So, I'm hurt but I talk to her anyway. Then she drops a bombshell. If she can't tell her boyfriend about her past, could I? Oh, yeah. Just what I wanted to do. But I tell her I would, because hey she's my friend. That's what I do.

Fast forward like a year. She hasn't spoken to me. Hasn't made any contact since she got the boyfriend. And then? She's engaged! Am I a part of the procedures, being her friend and all? Nope. Not a one. She was bubbling and I didn't have the heart to say "Bitch, take that and shove it up your ass, please. Kthxbi!" And how do I find out? Through IM. So then a couple months later, hey, we've got the wedding invitations. Do I get a special one, or even a little note in it? Hell no.

So it's April 2006, we go to the wedding. Why, I don't know. Maybe I'm just a sucker for punishment, or more than likely, I just wanted to see my best friend (former at this point) happy. Hey, just because I'm treated like shit doesn't mean I don't want other people to be happy. I'd prefer to keep that karma away from me, or reserved for my mother and stepmother. Whichever. We go. Her mom is glaring at me, acting like I pissed all over the cake and blew chunks in the food. And it hasn't even started yet. I see Friend in her dressing area. Yippee. After the ceremony, I finally meet the goddamn groom. Barely. You know that quick in line thing. Still being frozen out by the family. So is godmom. Fuck that shit. We skipped the reception.

Cut to a couple months later, I just send a "happy birthday" message to her. Then cut a couple months after that, I get a "happy birthday" message to me. Great, we're barely friends. Wonderful. The person who's known me the longest, and who's mom offered to let me live with her while my family figured out what the fuck they wanted. So, I go over and have dinner at their house one night. It was actually pretty fun, and her husband cooked the dinner. Okay, so I met him, actually spoke to him. Damn, he's boring. Seriously, y'all. Bor.Ring. Which makes him a perfect match for her.

Now, that was the last time I spoke to her...until yesterday. Oh, yes, Augs, she shares a birthday with you. Lucky you. Anyway, she emailed me, just chattering away. This leads me to think What in God's Hell does she want now? I was right to question it. I got all caught on family gossip I could give two shits about since I'm not considered part of the family. I got an email earlier, asking if we looked at apartments today (please note: we're looking at condos, not apartments, which I clearly stated last night), and if not, were we doing anything? I tell her no, that was tomorrow. Today we're doing some packing and sorting so when we do find a place, we'll be ready to go. Haven't heard from her since, and that was about 3 hours ago. She was bored and wanted me to come over. Please note, I'm only important when I can do something for someone. At least with her.

Be interesting to see the reply I get. If I get one.

Labels:

5 Comments:

Blogger Pug Mom said...

Oh, I know someone JUST like that. It's sad - fortunately, my time with her was limited to only two years or so, but still. In the end I realized that I wasn't really getting much out of this relationship, and that the bother and pain of it was just not worth it. So I begged my mom not to ever take me to her house again (of course, my parents were under the impression that we were the best of friends). Yeah, and since I was a pushover back in the day (I still am a bit), during those years I ended up giving her hundreds of dollars in toys (MY toys) which she would occasionally "ask" me for, and of course, I'd give over without a moment's hesitation.

1:21 PM  
Blogger Augs Casa said...

I'm not so sure I am to happy to be sharing a birhtday with this, um, so called friend. With friends like her, who needs enemies??

3:40 PM  
Blogger Jessie said...

Pug mom, I've had a ton of those type friends, too. Probably why I don't trust friends as far as I can throw them now. My friends always take advantage of me, because I'm a fixer. If it needs needs to be fixed, I'm all for making it better. I don't like people to be in jams. Hence the being taken advantage of. Pain in the ass, isn't it? Makes you wanna just choke a bitch in return.

Augs casa, I wouldn't be thrilled. But, hey, better you than me. ;) And I don't need enemies, I have my family for that. They're bad enough.

5:29 PM  
Blogger Pug Mom said...

Jessie,
I can totally understand the whole not-trusting-friends thing. Actually, I guess I've just had bad luck with people or something, but most "friends" I've had just want me around because I'm useful for something or other - no one's ever really tried to be there for me, just because they like me for me (despite the fact that I always try to be there for them if they need me). So therefore, I've become really distrustful of people - to the point where, I'm really not interested in meeting and making new friends. Sure, I'll go to parties and whatnot, but I am not putting extra effort into seeking you out and becoming your friend. Because I just assume you're like all the rest and you'll leave at some point or another. And I'm totally fine with that - I've always been a loner, so I don't mope about and complain about my lack of friends. My bf though, is a HUGE people person, and even though people use him like crazy (he's always there for them, no matter what), he just doesn't seem to see it, and wants me to get out there and make myself a zillion friends. Meh. No thanks.

1:45 AM  
Blogger Jessie said...

I'm a loner, too. Add a homebody to it, and I'm about as exciting as day-old burnt toast. But that's what I like. I don't need to go out all the time, to bounce from place to place. I've never been big on parties anyway. Too loud, too many drunk people.

I'm pretty much a people person, but I keep them at a distance. Meaning, I don't mind socializing in small quantities. You know, the kind of person that talks to people in line at the grocery, or will talk when waiting at the mechanic's. But I don't bring the people home. Mostly. Having a lot of people around all the time is tiring, isn't it? Too much work to be funny and interesting.

A good book with glass of wine and I'm happy. Hey, at least the fictional characters don't use all your patience and kindness up in a week. Friends have to keep trust, and more importantly, earn it. Most people nowadays aren't interested in that much work.

2:16 PM  

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home